Sunday, July 31, 2005

New U.S. TV deal in place says Globe

This morning's Boston Globe is reporting that the talked about deal with Comcast to be their new national cable partner has been agreed to and will be announced sometime soon, once the Sidney Crosby story gets all the press it will. They even go onto say that Comcast may bid for a piece of the NFL cable package, which, as you can imagine, won't make the fine folks at ESPN too happy.

And here I was hoping that the rumored (or perhaps, wished for) NHL deal with HBO was going to happen, allowing us to hear the wonderful profanity laced tirades that make sitting close to the glass and especially behind the bench such a joy. Shucks.

I'll let someone who knows more about the American TV industry tell you whether or not this is a good move.

2 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger Michael said...

Okay. Being once a Broadcasting student and a member of the US media. I can already say that this is a terrible move... bad... bad... bad... for America as a whole.

Sure, my cable company is Comcast, but what do the people who have Cox Communications, or TimeWarner Cable. Or even in my home away from home in State College, PA who still may be operating under the Adelphia name (see Rigas).

OLN and Comcast is mainly a Philly and Maryland Bay area cable system. I don't know how many homes in the US has access to OLN, but I'm guessing that it's very very small.

 
At 9:53 PM, Blogger CMcMurtry said...

In the story, I believe they say OLN is in, around, 68 million copies, almost 20 less than ESPN2. I imagine, though, that OLN is much much higher up on the dial.

Of course, if any network adds a hot properity, I would think most cable outlets out jump on board asap. Whether or not the NHL is that hot property, I don't know.

As well, from what I understand, broadcasting people feel like Comcast will be able to muscle other cable companies into doing what they want.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares