Friday, February 03, 2006

Homerism?

The Hockey Dirt blog has a poll about who should be the additions to Team Canada's blueline for Turin with the injury to Ed Jovanovski and maybe Scott Niedermayer.

As of the time of this post, Chris Phillips has one more vote than Ottawa-born Dan Boyle, who's most definitely my pick (I had him on the team in the first place).

Are Senators fans flodding this poll?

I like Chris Phillips a lot. He's a solid, two-way defenceman who's very dependable. He's not spectacular, but rarely does he have a bad game either, and is a big game player, having played the best hockey of his career in the playoffs. However, him over Dan Boyle, when you look at what the team will be missing with no Jovo? Really?

Then again, Jay "The Most Overrated Player In The NHL" Bouwmeester is second in this poll, so perhaps the voters are just stupid.

6 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Anonymous Zamboner said...

Phillips should not be on team Canada. I see Volchenkov passing him on the depth chart in the next 2 years.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Bouwmeester is EVER considered...

Hannan, Boyle, PHANEUF, Stuart are some names that should be considered first.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous SensGuy said...

It would make sense to take an offensive defenseman to replace Jovo, but maybe Team Canada considers that to be McCabe. I'd take Hannan if I was Team Canada.

 
At 5:39 AM, Blogger Roshan said...

I wud agree & disagree here. Best choice to replace Jovo (on current form) is Bryan McCabe. But what happened to two of my fav defence players : Barret Jackman & Jay Boumeester? Dan Boyle is very good but what about his teammate Darryl Syddor? I think he rarely gets the credit he deserves. I must say that Dion Phaneuf is a phenom!

 
At 4:48 PM, Blogger Vrej said...

Let's talk about Ottawa's defensive depth for the moment. This is how I see it. 1&2 may flip during the season. 3&4 may flip during the playoffs.

1.Redden
2.Chara <-He's made dumb mistakes recently.
3.Mezaros
4.Phillips <-Maybe 3 at playoffs. He steps up his game.
5.Volchenkov
6.Pothier
7.Schubert

Having said this, my hope is that Phillips gets a shot at the Olympics. Playing on that team could only accelerate a player's maturity and progression to the next level (whether that means star or superstar). This outwieghs my desire to have Sens players healthy and rested for the final stretch. Hopefully there are no injuries though, because I'd love us to win the cup.

Here's a thought, what would you prefer, Canada winning gold, or your home team winning the cup?

 
At 5:32 PM, Blogger CMcMurtry said...

Here's a thought, what would you prefer, Canada winning gold, or your home team winning the cup?

The Sens winning the Cup. Not even a tough decision. I just saw Canada win the gold four years ago.

 
At 11:15 PM, Anonymous SensGuy said...

1.Redden
2.Chara <-He's made dumb mistakes recently.
3.Mezaros
4.Phillips <-Maybe 3 at playoffs. He steps up his game.
5.Volchenkov
6.Pothier
7.Schubert

Meszaros is this teams #5 defensemen. His ice time proves it. He's not ahead of Phillips or Volchenkov at this moment in his career.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares