Thursday, March 09, 2006

Why bother?

In the days leading up to today’s trade deadline, John Muckler repeatedly said he would not make a move for the sake of doing one. Yet here I sit, Thursday night, feeling as if that was absolutely what happened.

The needs of the Ottawa Senators were pretty clear. They needed a top six forward who could take some of the offensive burden off the Big Line. Ideally, a seasoned veteran who has a positive playoff track record.

Instead of that, the team acquired a talented but apparently erratic center who, despite his six years in the league, has even less post season NHL experience than Jason Spezza. In the process, they gave up a promising young player who, though clearly flawed in some areas, still deserved more of a look than he got.

Is Arnason enough of an upgrade over what they had to warrant a trade? Especially to bring in a guy who has a history of being both trouble off the ice and a large headache to his coach. I’m not convinced.

He’s got average size, isn’t strong in his own end, and is not a good faceoff man, a pressing need on this club. On the plus size, he’s a good playmaker and can skate, and if matched up with Martin Havlat, would provide some spark.

The potential for this to work out extremely well is there. If he comes to Ottawa motivated, with something to prove, he could finally live up to the expectations the Blackhawks had of him for many years. However, it’s not the sure thing some of the other options were, and they had to give up a significant piece to get him.

I suppose it's a good thing, but forgive me if I'm not thrilled.

2 Comments:

At 10:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Crossing my fingers to have Smolinsky shipped out this summer.

 
At 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to disagree with you, because your simply wrong on a few notions. First off Arnason has not been in the league for 6 years. He was named to the All Rookie team in 2002-2003...so I dont know how that adds up to six years? He played 20 or so games the previous year, so he really has only been in the league for three seasons (its actually more like 2 and 1/2). And to say he is not good in his own end isnt fair. He is on a petty bad team where most his mates are in the - side of +/- catagory. Arnason sits at a healthy +5, which shows that he is at the very least defensivley responsible.
I do agree that this isnt what I wanted most, but I am glad we got him. Sure I would have liked Bertuzzi, or Jokinen or Rehcci as well, but it didnt happen. Also I was dissapointed that we didnt get another goalie. I know Emery has played well in most his games, but I just do not have confidence in him. When I see him, all I can think is "Lalime".
I am glad however we got Arnason. He was a #1 center on the Hawks, and will fit in well as the #2 center here in Ottawa. The sens are less then ideal down the center, but this gives them a huge boost of talent in that area. Instead of it being Spezza, Fisher, Smolinski, Vermette. Its now Spezza, Arnason, Fisher and Smolinski. I like Smoke on the 4th line much better then the 3rd. Also this gives the team the option to move Fisher or Smoke to a wing if they want. Bringing Arnason in has given the Sens more options and more strength where they needed it positionally. Sure it would have been great to get an old goat with playoff experience. I would have loved to see Roberts in a Sens uniform, but it didnt happen. I think this moves does help us a lot, just not in a BIG name sort of way.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares