Monday, July 03, 2006

Stevie Y ready to retire

According to reports, Detroit captain Steve Yzerman will call it a career today at a press conference in two hours.

Obviously, this was a decision he battled with, but I have to say, it was the right one.

Yzerman has been a shadow of his former self for a while now, and only able to be anything close to an impact player because of his massive heart and desire. On the one hand, he deserves infinite respect for caring about his team and the game enough to keep playing even though he was experiencing tremendous pain, but at some point, it got to be almost depressing to see how far he'd fallen.

Selfishly, I wanted to remember Yzerman as the dynamic gamebreaker who could take over a contest and on most nights was the best player on the ice. He was making that more difficult each year.

The timing is right and now the Wings can go in a different direction without any guilt. Makes sense all around.

1 Comments:

At 8:58 PM, Blogger Christy Hammond said...

This is just an excerpt of my reaction to Yzerman's retirement. You can read the whole post on my blog: http://behindthejersey.blogspot.com/2006/07/steve-yzerman-heart-of-champion.html

Cancer survivors look to cyclist Lance Armstrong for inspiration. As someone who has spent years struggling with chronic knee pain, Steve Yzerman has become my daily source of inspiration. While I certainly never had a city, a team, and millions of fans waiting for my return from knee surgery, I’ve experienced the agony of rehabilitation and the frustration of a bothersome knee. The grimaces made by his face are prevalent in every person suffering from chronic pain. Yzerman’s courage and perseverance helped me do the same while recovering from any of my seven knee operations.

Whenever I am struggling to make it up the stairs, I think of Yzerman when, in 2002, he had an incredibly hard time climbing the steps of the airplane. I always thought that if Yzerman could be in that much pain and still lead the team in playoff points, then I can make it through the day, through my therapy, and live a relatively normal life. I just hate that Yzerman’s knee is the number one reason for hanging up his skates.

When I hear the name Steve Yzerman, I think of words like courage, respect, honor, discipline, dedication, leader, champion, passion, perseverance, humility, and athlete. The name Steve Yzerman is the definition of a champion.

I can’t begin to imagine the Detroit Red Wings without No. 19. Yzerman became captain right before I was born so I really don’t know hockey without Stevie Y. Each time Yzerman held that shiny silver Stanley Cup over his head, you couldn’t help but smile seeing one of the greatest hockey players celebrate his team’s hard work. I have fond memories of each victory, but I found it most rewarding to see Yzerman lift the Cup for his third and final time after he defeated his opponents with one leg.

Thank you for the memories. Thank you for the inspiration. Thank you for three glorious seasons resulting in a parade downtown. Thank you for your leadership. Thank you for your passion for the game. Thank you for being the ultimate sports role model. Thank you for always giving 100%. Thank you for making the city of Detroit proud. Thank you for giving Wings fans a player to cheer in, to believe in, and best of all to dream with. You will always be my favorite athlete and my inspiration. Thank you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares